DID YOU KNOW?
There are many common foods, plants, medicines, & other household items than can make your dog or cat severely ill! Do you know what items in your kitchen, bathroom, and garden shed you need to keep out of reach from curious paws and noses? This month Liberty Vet wants to help provide you with the knowledge and resources you need to keep your best friends safe.
TODAYS AREA OF FOCUS: THE KITCHEN
Most people have heard that dogs should not have chocolate, but what about your cat? Is it okay to let your pet eat those raisins that just spilled on the floor? Here’s a quick-reference list of some common foods that you should never allow your dog OR cat to eat!
- Alcohol of any kind
- Grapes and Raisins
- Gum or Candy containing Xylitol (an artificial sweetener)
- Macadamia Nuts
- Onions, Garlic, and Chives
- Table Salt
- Unbaked Yeast Bread Dough
You can find a full list of toxic foods and the symptoms they cause HERE.
BUT WHAT HAPPENS IF MY PET DOES EAT SOMETHING IT SHOULDN’T?
The resulting illness to pets from ingesting a toxic food can vary from mild symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea all the way to severe symptoms such as seizures, coma, and death. It’s important to be mindful of what food your pet may find on counter tops, tables, or in open cabinets. If you suspect your pet ate something it should not have, be sure to watch for any changes in health or behavior and contact Liberty Vet immediately. Here are a few resources to keep handy in case your pet should need immediate help:
Phone: 855-886-7965 (charges may apply)
Stay tuned for next week’s update on toxic plants.
Leave A Comment