Summer is the time of year everyone, including pets, spend more time outside. There are walks, picnics, barbeques and playing in the yard with the kids. No matter what you enjoy doing, there are precautions you take for your family to make sure they are safe, and that needs to include your fur babies.
Did you know there are many plants that can make your dog or cat sick and some that are possibly fatal? I think most people know about poinsettias, but what about the ones you plant in your yard? They are more accessible to your pets and are easy for them to get to if they are part of the landscape.
Some plants to look out for are:
If you think your pet has eaten one of the above plants you need to call Liberty Veterinary Hospital immediately at 513-755-9700 or the pet poison helpline at 888-426-4435 (charges may apply). It is better to call and get information ASAP to see if ingestion causes mild symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy or drooling. They can establish whether it is safe to watch or keep at home or whether they need to be seen immediately. Pets can seizure or even die from eating some toxic plants.
Don’t delay, make that call at the first sign of ingestion. Don’t wait to see symptoms. If you want to see a complete list of plants that are toxic please visit libertvet.net under blog/awareness newsletter/toxic awareness.
Join me next week for more toxic dangers in the yard and your garage. Until then, have a happy and safe 4th of July!
Leave A Comment