Today we’ll hear a testimonial from Cheeto, one of two fur babies owned by one of LVH’s current lab assistants, Lindsey Johnstone.
“What’s up friends? I’m Cheeto the cat, and I asked if I could talk about toxic plants because I know a lot about this topic. My mom can’t have plants in the house because I get so excited when I see them that I forget some plants can hurt me. I eat anything and everything that is green! My mom tells me over and over again that this is bad, but I just can’t seem to remember her warnings when a leafy green snack… I mean plant, is in front of me! My mom told me that some plants, especially lilies, can be very harmful to cats if ingested. In some cases, it only takes 2-3 petals or leaves or even just some pollen (or even water from the vase of lilies) to cause acute kidney failure! This is a severe and irreversible condition that I know I sure don’t want to get. I have a little brother named Chip I love to play with, and Chip never eats plants. I am working hard to be more like him so that we can have a long healthy life of napping, birdwatching, and playing chase around the house! My mom is helping me to not eat plants by keeping them far out of my reach, or using fabric flowers to decorate instead. Please make sure to tell your cats about the dangers of toxic plants, because the consequences of eating them can be very serious!”
CHEETO’S GO-TO LIST OF COMMON TOXIC PLANTS
Most people have heard that dogs should not have chocolate, but what about your cat? Is it okay to let your pet eat those raisins that just spilled on the floor? Here’s a quick-reference list of some common foods that you should never allow your dog OR cat to eat
- Christmas Rose
- Elephant Ears
- Emerald Fern
- English Ivy
- Morning Glory
- And many, many more!
A great place to start is your veterinarian. At https://libertyvet.net/blog/awareness-newsletters/, under the link that says “Toxic Awareness,” there is a large list of toxic plants and lots of other great information on toxic dangers.
Another place to look is the ASPCA’s website at http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants where you can search toxic plants by what types of pets they affect.
Stay tuned for our next update on the topic of toxic medications & chemicals!
Remember, always seek immediate medical help if your pet ingests a toxic substance. Call Liberty Vet (513-755-9700), or the 24/7 Pet Poison Helpline at 855-886-7965 (charges may apply).