Blaze here again! I’m a 13 years old and my two favorite things to do are eat and sleep! Our owners often think they are giving us “treats” when were given people food during the holidays but it can actually be harmful. Some of the most popular holiday foods, such as chocolate, bones and nuts can be extremely toxic or even fatal to pets. Here’s a few that I stay away from and would advise you to do as well.
Different types of chocolate contain various levels of fat, caffeine and the substance methylxanthines. The darker and richer the chocolate, the higher risk of toxicity (i.e., bakers chocolate). Depending on the type and amount of chocolate ingested, dogs might experience vomiting, diarrhea, urination, hyperactivity, heart arrhythmias, tremors and seizures.
Fat trimmings and bones are dangerous for dogs. Fat trimmed from meat, both cooked and uncooked, may cause pancreatitis. And, although it seems natural to give a dog a bone, a dog can choke on it. Bones can splinter and cause an obstruction or laceration in the digestive system.
Found in many cookies and candies, certain nuts should not be given to pets. Almonds, non-moldy walnuts and pistachios can cause an upset stomach or an obstruction of your dog’s throat and/or intestinal tract. Macadamia nuts and moldy walnuts can be toxic, causing seizures or neurological signs. Lethargy, vomiting and loss of muscle control are among the effects of nut ingestion.
Leave A Comment